Intestinal Parasite...

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health and Wellness' started by Joanne1216, Jan 4, 2013.

1. mleighp1

mleighp1 Well-Known Member

Well, I am going to challenge you on this belief that you cannot simply adopt a gluten free diet. The truth is that you CAN, but you choose not to. You absolutely can do it. You could start this instant if you wanted to. I apologize if this comes across as picking on you, but I intend it is as tough love because I care about you. I think your digestive system is upset because you eat crap and don't take care of yourself. If you are serious about improving your health, you are going to have to make changes and sacrifice some of your comfort foods. Sure, you can look into your thyroid and take pills to kill any parasites you think you may have and do any other medical fix you think might help, but the root of the problem is most likely the choices you make when you put food into your mouth. I've been in the same boat as you...experiencing problems with my digestive tract, looking for a medical explanation, etc so I am not judging you but it is frustrating as an outsider to see you complaining about the same problem for years and not really taking action on your end by doing things that could have an immediate impact for the better.

Sorry if that is harsh.

2. SVLurker

SVLurker Well-Known Member

Sorry, Meridith. I DISAGREE with you...
    • You do not come across as picking on her
    AND
    • You are not being harsh

Other than that, I totally agree with you. (insert :BigGrin: smilie)

JoJo, I'm willing to make you a challenge

I don't need to go Gluten free (or at least don't think I need to),
    However, I've always wondered if I would notice anything if I did

So, if you are ever ready to do it, I will join and do it with you

ONE CONDITION...
    We must do it for at least 30 consecutive days
    No excuses - No exception

Let me know!

3. mleighp1

A few years ago one of my closest and dearest friends found out she had Celiac's disease and had to adopt a gluten free diet. We had a tradition of having dinners at her house every Monday night followed by dessert while watching the Bachelor together. I also would spend holidays with them. When I found out she had to change her diet I thouht, "What about our dinners together?!" but what I noticed is that despite the need to follow a gluten free diet, our menu didn't have to change that much for our dinners and holidays.

Instead of crackers and hummus before dinner, we switched to "Nut Thins" and Hummus. We switched out bread for potatoes with our dinners. On Thanksgiving we had to make a modified version of the green bean casserole without the fried onions on top and instead put slivered almonds on top and truthfully it was a huge hit and tasted even better than the traditional recipe. She couldn't have the pumpkin pie but we made a different dessert for her. When we light up the firepit in the backyard she roasts marshmallows just like the rest of us but cannot eat the graham crackers. When we have movie nights or watch the Bachelor together, we have popcorn and candy. She can eat most of the same candy that I can eat. There are a few types of candy she has to stay away from, but she can eat gummy bears and licorice and most of the same stuff I eat.

At Christmas every year we make gluten free gingerbread cookies and they are to die for!

My friend participates in a local Gluten Free club and they have monthly potlucks in which everyone brings a gluten free dish along with the recipe for it. She has learned a lot of great recipes from this. One of my favorite dishes she makes when I visit is a stuffed chile relleno that is baked in the oven. OMG .So good!

Anyway, my friend has found that although she misses pasta, she didn't miss bread as much as she thought she would and she doesn't feel deprived and is able to still enjoy food.

I hope you are able to give it a try and see if it gives you some digestive relief.

4. Skya

Skya New Member

Agree with you completely and applaud you for not holding back. Sometimes the truth hurts, but you either rise to the challenge or you don't. I just had a friend recently discover she is sensitive to many foods and had to adopt a no carb gluten free diet. She did it immediately because she had to. It is not fun, but having a medical condition never is. But she did it immediately and feels 100% better.

5. SVLurker

How about this? --> Rudi's gluten-free breads
    • You don't have to order (put your zip in the search box)
    • There a $1.00 off coupon (to the left)

If you need more excuses, I'm sure you'll find them

If you need more reasons, check this out - it's filled with :cookoo:

WOW - A 30 second Google Search, and I found this:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

I don't feel any one of you have been harsh, not one iota. However, Mer, I would like to say that I have not complained about digestive problems other than recently. My problems began in May of 2012. Any other time I had abdominal problems was due to ruptured cysts, which is very common for me.

Anyway, to some people, giving up gluten may not seem like a difficult task, and of course, I may have no choice but to adapt to that way of living. My daughter has and she's doing great. To me, it is not going to be an easy task, not only do I not like to cook but I also have no desire to cook. I do have healthy mixed greens for lunch with goat cheese feta,without dressing and it's delicious. I even have frozen chicken strips I can add to it. But for the most part, it's not being able to give up bread and pasta because I rarely eat bread and I have pasta one night a week from my favorite restaurant which also makes gluten free pasta.

My dilemma is what to eat for lunch. Gluten free frozen dinners are damn scary. They have tofu, which is soy and I can't eat soy because of my history of breast cancer. Any of the gluten free pizza's have fake plastic cheese on it.

So, I would love some ideas on gluten free foods for lunch other than salads. :)

Oh, I love rice, is all rice gluten free?

Oh and Mer, it turns out that I don't have a thyroid problem, never did... Doctors are just quick to medicate.... it's sad.

7. Joanne1216

8. Joanne1216

Lets just drop this topic, I have become far too sensitive in my old age.

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Actio infinitus

Gluten is only found in Wheat, Barley and Rye, so yes rice is gluten free,

Celiac disease is hereditary, but maybe you should get tested. I know when I was having stomach troubles, some people said I need to give up gluten and I thought about it, but then I ended up getting tested and the test came back negative.

The problem with Gluten is that it actually damages the small intestine if you are sensitive to it, so it is kind of like a diabetic with sugar. If have it your are hurting yourself.

But Instead of guess I would get tested and know for sure.

10. mleighp1

Yes, rice gluten free. It can cause constipation though so it is best to mix it up with potatoes rather than rely on it as a staple.

I apologize about my comment that you have been reporting digestive problems for years. I was lumping your complaints about your weight, diet, etc. into that without really considering that this may be an isolated separate issue for you.

11. auburn.tree

auburn.tree New Member

intestinal parasites usually come from bacteria that might have been in the food that we ate. doctors usually recommend taking meds that would eliminate them usually through the toilet =)

12. Joanne1216

I was tested, my IGA was low but not extremely low. All of my physicians (and I had many) said it was fine. I of course, do not believe them or trust blood work. I had blood work done for allergies once and the results showed I wasn't allergic to sesame, yet every time I eat anything with sesame, my mouth and throat itches and swells. Go figure.

So, I am not giving up on the possibility that it may be a gluten sensitivity, especially since the last anti-parasitic medication did not work.

13. Wanderer

Wanderer Actio infinitus

Blood work is just the initial test. they confirm with a intestinal biopsy. So perhaps you might get one of those.

14. SVLurker

A Strong suggestion...
    Go glutton-Free for 30 days.
    You have nothing to lose (except your problems)

15. Joanne1216

Thanks Phil. I have been experimenting with a gluten free lifestyle for a few months now. I haven't given it up completely but after my experience this past weekend, I am going the entire week without it (one week at a time). In the meantime, I have googled some "quick" gluten free recipes. I even joined a forum to hopefully get some experienced advice. :)

16. SVLurker

Wish me luck...
    As of NEXT Monday (2/25/13), I plan (hope) on going Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free & Egg-Free for thirty (30) days
    I have no know allergies to any of them, but I want to see if I would notice any difference by avoiding them
    It can't hurt - can only help. I figure 30 days would be long enough

17. Joanne1216

18. Wanderer

Wanderer Actio infinitus

Good Luck, not something I would want to try personally.