Going Gluten Free....

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health and Wellness' started by Joanne1216, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

I think we need a new thread for this.

Good luck Phil. Try the different breads, let me know which one's I need to buy :yippee:

2. Joanne1216

I'm having a biopsy done on March 14th and I was told not to go gluten free until after the test. I am aware that even if the biopsy comes back negative for Celiac Disease, that I still may be gluten intolerant.

Phil, I would love a day by day (or every other day) update.

3. Wanderer

Wanderer Actio infinitus

There you go, that's taking some action.

4. MantaRayz

MantaRayz YoUniversally Aligned

Ezekiel Bread is delish, and Grain-free. It's made with Sprouted Wheat, but it's the sprouts instead of the grain than make it different. Be sure to refrigerate after opening. As I remember, it has more calories than bread, but they are better, more nutrient-rich calories than traditional breads.

Quinoa is a great choice in place of pasta. Although not a direct replacement, it lends itself well to many different dishes. I use Salsa or Pasta Sauce or Cut Veggies as a hot meal, and have even used Cinnamon and Cocoanut or Almond Milk for a Sweet Treat, or to replace a morning bowl of Oatmeal.

Good luck on your 30 Days!

5. Joanne1216

Unexpected Sources of Wheat

stamps and envelopes
    canned broth
    imitation bacon
    veggie burgers
    soy sauce
    soy marinades
    mustard
    chewing gum
    laxatives

:yikes:

6. SVLurker

SVLurker Well-Known Member

Hi Jojo (or Serenity - I'm soo confused :crosseye:)

Thanks for starting this thread.
    I haven't been around much - my laptop was recently stolen & I'm waiting for the Surface to be available.
    The only computer I have at home is my phone - I'm currently at work

Yep, Tomorrow's the day
    Just to make it a little more challenging, I'm also going Dairy-Free & Egg-Free

Ezekiel Bread? :hmm:
    Never heard of it. There is a store near me that sells it - I will give it a try.
    Thanks Manta
    Ever heard of Julian Bakery?
    They supposedly have good Gluten-Free & Paleo bread

I have heard of Quinoa. I just bought a bag at Costco

My initial plan is to start the first three days with just fruits & vegetables
    After that, adding in the meats, rice, Quinoa, etc...
    At least that's the plan! - Don't know if it'll stick
    Just to clarify - I don't know if I'll stick to the first three days on JUST Fruits & Veges
    I WILL stick to the 30 days Gluten-Free

Should be fun!!! :cookoo:

7. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

I have never really understood the Paleo concept. I know that this is a Gluten Free Thread, I get that but you brought up Paleo Bread so the door was opened.

As a descendant of Paleo Man, I know that Humans are basically lazy. If my ancestors could have taken down game with a rifle, they never would have chased the damned things. If feed was available to eat they would never pass it up contrary to the beliefs of the Paleo Guru's. Beans, Rices, grains and tubers are off the menu in Paleo but I bet if they found them, they would eat them, I can't imagine a hungry Paleo man looking at a nice fat potato and saying, no, that is not in Lauren Cordain's book. After all, who was the first person to look at an egg and say, hey look, that fell out of that birds A$$, I think i'll eat it. It may be they weren't around wheat fields or beans (legumes), or potatoes but since they are all dead, who can argue with the man that wrote the book on Paleo diets. There were hunter gatherers and if I was a gatherer, something that was dry, did not wrote if stayed dry, would be a primary target for winter storage and as such, Beans and grains would be a primary food source along with dried berries and dried meats.

My point being is that logic seems to trump propaganda sold buy these food diet companies. Someone can eat very healthy and still adhere to the staples of food that have sustained the race for 10's of thousands of years.
    Just saying...

Am I missing some piece of valuable information or a hidden detail?

BTW, don't get me wrong, trying something new and testing your body is not a bad thing, I think it is pretty cool and one thread I am following to see how you do and get some results.

8. SVLurker

FYI - The reason I brought up Paleo is because there are some gluten-free people who cannot/do not eat certain grains often found in some gluten-free breads.
    The Paleo breads do not contain these grains
    All Paleo Breads are Gluten-Free Breads

I, too disagree with the logic behind the Paleo diet

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  9. SVLurker

Well, I mess up
    At 11:41 am PST, I (inadvertently) had Gluten :hopeless:
    Yep, I licked an envelope

I'm such a failure, I'm thinking about calling it quits now :biglaugh:

With the exception of the glue from the envelope, I haven't had any gluten (dairy or eggs) today
    Only coffee (w/Choc Almond milk) & Fruits

10. Scooter

Scooter Na Koa Ali'i

You are a looser and a failure :biglaugh:
    Well you can save yourself... As they say, if you don't swallow, it don't count.

11. MantaRayz

Based on some of their other cuisine and delicacies, they had to have been French.

12. MantaRayz

Your Welcome!
    Nope, but then, I rarely shopped in La Jolla. On the other hand, Julian Pies are mighty tasty, though I'm sure they are far from Gluten, Egg & Dairy free.
    Here's another element to consider ..... Food Combining. Eating foods that digest well when consumed at the same time. for instance, Protein and Starchy Carbs don't digest well together, nor do Fats & Protein. Most Fruits are pretty good together, but Melons are best eaten by themselves. In fact, the best meals for digestion are mono-meals, one item at a sitting, like a couple Oranges, or a couple Apples, or a Salad of dark Greens. If you do a Google Search for "Food Combining Chart", you'll see dozens, but here's one that's pretty complete.

http://www.livingforce.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/food_combining_chart.png

Attached Files:

13. gradyp

gradyp New Member

If you do go out to eat, be sure and ask if they have a gluten free menu. At the Olive Garden, we have both a Gluten free menu as well as a list of dishes with ingredients that had common allergies. And a few of the other restaurants my wife and I went to had similar menus as well (particularly the more "corporate" ones).

Good luck with your diet! My wife found that while it did help, it was a bit too restrictive for her to maintain, at least the gluten one, because it's in so many things.

14. SVLurker

Yea, I've heard of that. Tony Robbins used to promote it - "Fit for Life", I believe

Most of my meals ARE mono-meals - I'm single, lazy & don't like to cook :)

15. Wanderer

Wanderer Actio infinitus

so how's the gluten free eating going?

16. MantaRayz

Tony used to be Partners with the Diamonds. He says they found him (in the very early 80s) when they were doing talks in tiny Health Food stores. They had taken a course from a guy named TC Fry, who learned what he knew from Herbert Shelton, a Dr for Texas. Dr Shelton synthesized Natural Cure and Natural Healing books and teachings from the mid-late 1800s, and in the 20s & 30s, started whats known as Natural Hygiene. Tony based much/most of his stuff on what he learned reading the TC Fry and Dr Shelton books.

Shelton's most famous book is "Food Combining Made Easy," and has been the basis for MANY Health books, and Natural Hygiene has been the basis for MANY well-known diet books, most notably "The Beverly Hills Diet" and "The South Beach Diet," amongst dozens of others.

According to Tony, they parted ways under VERY unfriendly terms. He talks about "former partners" who emptied their bank account to the tune of ...... LOTS of money.
    Boiling Quinoa is stretching my cooking aspirations these days, so I hear ya!

Thought you might like
    this site I just surfed in to. While it looks to be kinda heavy on cooking, it appears to feature all Gluten-Free recipes. They look good too!

17. SVLurker

It's going well - Not as bad as I thought
    It's actually harder to give up dairy (cheese) & eggs than Gluten.
    A friend of mine suggested giving up ALL grains (Rice, Quinoa?) & potatoes as well
    I'm debating. But if I do this, I'm going to "compensate" by allowing myself dairy & eggs

Yep, I like it, but
    Yep, very heavy on the cooking

Thanks, Manta.
    Although I probably won't be cooking any of this - it can generate ideas

18. MantaRayz

Since Quinoa is a Seed, not a grain, I'd recommend keeping that in your menu. It's a very complete food, including Protein, Magnesium & Manganese, high carb / no sugar / very low glycemic value, all 8 Amino Acids, and other good stuff too, something wheat cannot claim. Superfood? maybe, but you don't really need 'superfoods' if you eat a good and varied menu.

If you want potatoes, switch from the Idaho spud to Sweet Potatoes. MUCH higher in actual nutrition value, and typically better-tasting too.

If you want to eat dairy, make sure it's whole foods, not low-fat. Real whole Butter is actually MUCH better for you than any dairy substitutes, and real almost always tastes better. Test? go have some Ice Cream, 2 scopes to be exact. 1 scoop, 24% butterfat, the other, "normal." Which tastes best AND is better for you? Scoop Butterfat. The Humon Body knows how to digest and use real food, but looks for ways to expel what passes for "Healthy Alternative." Same thing with Eggs, eat the good ones, not the cheap ones.

the real key ..... enJOY what you eat! Mindset plays a much larger part than most nutritionists care to admit or even acknowledge.

enJOY !

19. SVLurker

Hey:
    I'm temporary off my gluten-free diet, but I have good reasons.
    They are [insert excuses here].

Any way, I have a bunch of friends (4) who will be going Gluten-Free in April (1st - 30th)
    I will be joining them

I will keep Quinoa in my diet (thanks Manta)

They're thinking of going dairy-free, I may not do that
    Manta, I agree (as a rule) - low or non fat dairy is worse than the real thing,
    but I actually prefer non-fat (Skim) Milk.
    In your opinion, would it be so bad if I continued with non-fat milk (I primarily use it in my coffee/mocha)?

Thanks everyone for your support - and send vibes to my sister, Joanne.
    She will soon be going Gluten-Free

20. MantaRayz

Sounds like you're using the Skim more for taste or filler that anything else. In that case, I'd suggest you taste other options (from good sources of course) and see what they do, like Almond Milk or Cocoanut Milk (Cocoanut flavored Almond milk?) Both have better quality Fats than dairy, and have more nutrients the body will more-easily assimilate. Study after study point to the conclusion that more than 60% of Americans are "lactose-intolerant", with about 23% of the population very "intolerant". It's been abundantly clear for a long time that cows milk is NOT an ideal (or even a good) food for humans to ingest.

As far as things like cheese ..... I've never found a suitable replacement that is even close to a same or similar taste experience. If you want to eat cheese, eat cheese.