The meat and nut breakfast

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health and Wellness' started by Joanne1216, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Joanne1216

Joanne1216 Well-Known Member

I would love your opinion on this.....

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article.aspx?ID=270

The Meat and Nut Breakfast

The rotating meat and nuts breakfast for optimal body composition
    by Charles Poliquin

When people ask me for the best single dietary tip of optimal leanness, energy and sustained mental focus, I invariably tell them to try the rotating meat and nuts breakfast. Clients ranging from NHL & NFL stars to corporate executives, rave about the increased mental acuity and focused energy they derive from this food combination. The meat allows for a slow and steady rise in blood sugar. The nuts provide a great source of healthy smart fats that allows the blood sugar to remain stable for an extended period of time.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. My seminar hosts are well made aware of it. It is a non-negotiable item. I am very grateful to have hosts all over the World that cater to my breakfast needs. My Dominican host Juan Carlos Simo always comes by the hotel with a kick ass breakfast. The best salmon I have ever had. Mats and Helen in Sweden bring me elk for breakfast.

What you eat for breakfast sets up your entire neurotransmitter production for the day.

If for some reason there is no host, lets say I am giving a seminar at a location I am not familiar, I always pre-scout where the best breakfast is served and simply choose steak and eggs, or a salmon omelet, or lox and poached eggs.

It is quite funny sometimes to see the reaction of the hotel staff when I ask for meat in the morning. For example in Tuscany, when I asked the chef for meat for breakfast, he had a look on his face like if I asked him to point in the right direction for the tunnel that links Rome to Oslo.

Multiple studies on employee productivity or on children’s attention patterns have demonstrated that a high protein breakfast does not only impact on the energy and productivity levels of morning till noon, but extended its positive way in the late afternoon.

Here a sample 5 day rotation of the meat/nuts breakfast. It goes without saying that you DO NOT ADD ANYTHING TO IT in terms of food or beverage.

Tea, coffee or herbal infusions are permissible, Milk and juice or other liquids are not allowed.

Day 1
    • 1-2 Buffalo meat patties
    • 1 handful of macadamia nuts

Day 2
    • 1 large venison steak
    • 1 handful of cashew nuts

Day 3
    • 1-2 Lean turkey burgers
    • 1 handful of almonds

Day 4
    • 2 lean ground beef patties
    • 1 handful of brazil nuts

Day 5
    • 2 chicken breasts
    • 1 handful of hazelnuts

One of the other advantages of this system is that is reduces the development of food sensitivities which are known to increase cortisol in people. More than often enough, when we test first time clients for food sensitivities we find that they have antibodies to the food they have consumed on a daily for years. That is even more true in bodybuilders, it not uncommon to see them have allergies to beef, eggs, whey, casein, tuna and oatmeal, the basic bodybuilding staples.

What about if you are allergic to nuts?

I then recommend you a portion of the following low glycemic/low fructose fruits with your breakfast:

apricot
    avocado
    blackberries
    blueberries
    grapefruit
    loganberries
    nectarines
    olives
    papaya
    peach
    plum
    raspberries
    strawberries

Make sure that the fruits are organic, especially the strawberries, as they are one of the most sprayed crops in the World.

After breakfast, I recommend to use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of quality fish oil to mitigate even more the insulin response. That will insure top level concentration till your next meal.

2. mleighp1

mleighp1 Well-Known Member

Some good points but I think his suggested portions are for a 250 pound person. If you are going to follow this diet, I would scale back.

A typical breakfast (or rather, meal #2) for me is either:

1. 2 whole eggs, 1-1/2cup green beans, and 4 oz. chicken breasts.

2. 7 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 2 cups spinach, 1/2 cup mushrooms.

3. 5 oz. chicken breast, 1/2 cup oats, 1-1/2 cup green beans. *this is a carb day breakfast and I do not get much fat on this day until before I go to bed*

*meal #1 is always a scoop of protein powder that is low in carbs and fat, approx 25g protein. Mixed with water. This is meal #1 every day, regardless of the type of diet I am following (keto vs. carb cycling, etc.)

3. Awake at Last

Awake at Last I'm a "she" :-)

I think it looks like too much for my tired brain to digest right now! :crosseye:

4. byesadness

byesadness New Member

Haven't tried this type of diet before but for someone who desperately wants to lose 20 lbs. I think, it's worth a try. The only problem here is I usually wake up late and have my first meal of the day at around 10AM. Is that still considered a breakfast?

5. renegademonk

renegademonk New Member

Not sure

Has anyone here tried this way of eating?

It sounds interesting. I gues my main concern is where are complex carbs?

I enjoy distance running and tried a modified Atkins type diet a few years ago. After about 3 or 4 days I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.

Anyway, I'm always open to new ideas.

Just wanted to know if there's a few success stories out there!

6. mleighp1

mleighp1 Well-Known Member

I have eaten this way. I did a diet free of complex carbs for 3 months. I would never do it again. My brain didn't function, my energy sucked, my personality was flat, and my workouts were lame. It was a cutting diet for a body building show. Personally I liked the results better from carb cycling which I did for a different body building prep for competition.

That being said, even now that I am back on a carb cycling diet, I dont' really eat complex carbs for breakfast more than two or three days a week. I prefer them for meals #3 , #4, and #5 before and after working out.

and if you are distance runner, carbs are a MUST. basically it depends on your activity level, goals, and when you work out. Go with what works for you.

7. KahunaGrande

KahunaGrande Scurvy Elephant

This is SO not what I was thinking it was JoJo....:lildevil:

8. tigerbunny

tigerbunny New Member

Long ago, when I was fresh outta high school, I thought it just made more sense to eat proteins at breakfast. I thought that one would want the benefits of protein all day, as well as having that long time to digest while upright.

I had no exposure to the thought of food combining though, and I ate dreadful things. I just thought 'dinner' for breakfast was better. Can't remember what I ate for dinner. At some point in my life I moved in with my parents for a short time ~ I felt so fat and overstuffed. I said, 'how do you eat three squares a day?' I've always been a natural snacker, and three full meals per day is way too much.

Then I got food combining, and for many years, my breakfast was a banana and a (watered) glass of grapefruit juice.

In winter, I like hot oatmeal with yogurt for breakfast (soy yogurt, I'm allergic to milk). Although, it's too much carb for me now. It's usually too much for me to do straight meat before work. But if I take it with me, I can eat at my desk around 10am. (then I'm not hungry at lunch, which leads to unhealthy snacking at 3-4pm)

9. byesadness

byesadness New Member

I think, this type of diet is good only for those who are not into hard works that require so much energy. Otherwise, a breakfast with carb is I think necessary.

10. gg75

gg75 New Member

This is an interesting diet. I am not sure how this will work out in the long run. I know I love steak and would love to eat it every day. But I think that this could be to much of a good thing.

11. saf1

saf1 New Member

I think it could work if the next meal was spaced out because with all that protein and fat any carbs whether simple or complex could sky rocket insulin levels, and you could end up gaining fat and not losing it.

12. Matt

Matt New Member

If you want to feel healthier then just go vegetarian. Meat breakfasts? No thanks.

Also, I think that the morning is the best time to eat carbohydrates, when metabolism is highest.

Nuts are always great, so I definitely agree that it's a good idea to eat nuts for breakfast.

13. Porphyos

Porphyos New Member

This breakfast does sound weird! But it sounds like it would be more for pro athletes rather then the every day person?

14. PhilipOnFire

PhilipOnFire New Member

NO!

just no.