Has anyone ever utilized the services of a Career and/or Life Coach?

Discussion in 'Announcements | Suggestions | Help | Bug Report |' started by Clarky, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Clarky

Clarky New Member

If so could you share your experience? Was it worth the time and money?

2. speakoutloud

speakoutloud New Member

There is a huge variation here. There are ones that are amazing and can change your life and ones that have no idea what they're talking about. I would ask for a free session first to see how you get along and then you can judge from there how you get along, if they seem to know their stuff, and how they respond to challenges from you.

3. MantaRayz

MantaRayz YoUniversally Aligned

Interesting perspective.

From my experience, there are far more of the former than of the latter. Between your dipolectic chasm, there are many fine competent Coaches of many different stripes and talents and skill levels, but don't confuse Coaching with Mentoring or Consulting; even though there may be some overlap, these are not the same professions, nor are the processes or results the same.

As a ResultsCoach, I insisted on a "free session" because I wanted to know if I even wanted to hire this person as a Client. I wanted to know if they were serious about what they wanted to work on or through (or even knew what they wanted) and how they would respond to challenges from me.

As a Client, you'll get EXACTLY what you bring and put into the process.

4. PhilD

PhilD New Member

I have had a change in this regard of late. I am more for coaches that have experience and success in doing what you hope to accomplish. I know there are different takes on this, my opinion is that it cuts down on fluff and makes it easier to quantify if someone adds value. Just my take.

5. speakoutloud

speakoutloud New Member

I think that's valid to prefer coaches that have actually done what they teach. But just don't forget there are some people who really are better at teaching something than doing it. There are great football coaches who are too small to have been great players but know the game extremely well, for example.

6. Legacy

Legacy New Member

Hi Clarky
    I am a business teacher, Executive Life Coach and Motivational Speaker and I do believe if you use the correct person you will be helped and find it to be a most blessed experience.
    I think it is important that the person you use don't just do a job (i.e. something they do because they need money) but rather a passion (i.e. something they do because they are designed for it). You will 'pick' this up the first time you meet them and speak face-to-face.
    If there is an absence of what I call 'life' and only theory, PLEASE rather stay away.
    Go well